Monday, March 13, 2006

Heros and Zeros?.. by Thomas



During the Olympics that took place in Torino this year, we could see every single day on several channels, all day long, athletes competing and carrying the Olympian spirit. Live coverage of competitions, special shows to discuss the chances of medals, reports about this or that athlete...TV, radio, newspaper, internet. It was everywhere. These athletes do incredible things and probably deserve such a coverage.

And then once the cameras of the world turned back to their daily routine, from the 10th to the 19th of March takes place the 9th paralympic games in Torino, and I suddenly felt really mad mad mad watching tv. These guys can't see, can't walk, or are missing legs or arms are going downhill faster than I could ever dream and can you name one of them? Where are the cameras? Don't they represent the same values, don't they show their great spirit and courage? Then why not having a full coverage on regular channels?

And then I am thinking about Bode Miller, my God, you could see his face everywhere, interviews, adverts, reports and so on... well the guy didn't get a single medal but he gets the biggest sponsoring. So now let me ask you this...why can't the paralympic games be incorporated inside of the olympics? They are athletes too and in societies that are looking for heroes, maybe it is time to change our perspectives.



7 Comments:

At March 13, 2006, Blogger egan said...

That's a good point. I would guess the marketing and running the two events at the same time would be tough to manage.

 
At March 13, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome to the world of american advertising. Just as sex sells, so do people who are looking to make a fast buck. Now who would you rather sponsor a blind man or a guy who's got some teenagers attention? I'm sure we all know the answer. It's a sad reality... And it really is too bad!

 
At March 14, 2006, Blogger leon's life said...

Kim/Thomas - I am enjoying reading you blog. I just have a comment to make and please don't take offense.

I never know if it's Thomas or Kim who has posted (Ok call me thick, maybe I've missed something) - maybe you could each post in a different colour. As a reader it would be nice to know who is speaking

 
At March 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really good post.
It is funny when it comes to putting our money where our mouth is...I don't see it happening.

I agree that these guys or girls deserve much more.

 
At March 15, 2006, Blogger egan said...

LĂ©ons life - I agree with you.

 
At March 15, 2006, Blogger T said...

Right On. I'd buy a product that openly sponsored paralympic athletes. They show more courage in just trying than some of the regular athletes do in winning.

 
At April 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Diazepam frontloading moen faucets Witdrawal systoms of effexor Best mortgage refinancing in britain Healthy skin proactiv bingo Cobra radar detector esd-6000 Facial kirkland plastic surgery Send faxes through email various internet marketing prozac Pay aquila bill online

 

Post a Comment

<< Home