Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Hungry enough to eat a horse?..by kim


Before you say "neigh", as I had once said before. Try it, its very good! I have tried many different things, including turkey hearts. And I have to say this was quite delightful! With a taste similiar to beef, yet a bit more sweet, very tender and not once did I imagine the horses I took lessons on as a kid! I find it funny, that some people will eat bambi, but not trigger.

I agree, it is not something I would eat very often, more for just a special treat. But I am just wondering what the general consensus is on eating this type of animal. There is an ongoing debate in the U.S. over the right or wrong of making a meal out of horse, I just wonder what you think? We eat cows, duck, chickens, dear, geese, pigs, fish, lobsters, crabs, etc. etc., why is it such a tabboo thing to say you would eat horse for dinner?

So, again, just out of curiosity, how would you feel if you sat down to dinner and realized the steak you were eating was in fact horse?

8 Comments:

At March 22, 2006, Blogger leon's life said...

Thomas – I wouldn’t mind at all. I don’t see the difference between a beefsteak, a horse or a yeti. I’m quite adventurous and am willing to try anything once, the only reason I wouldn’t eat something is because I didn’t like it, not because of some moral issue.

I have heard people around we saying ‘Oh I’d never eat Rabbit, they are so cute it’s disgusting’ all this while chomping on a big juicy steak. I don’t understand the difference and find that type of attitude a little hypocritical.

It’s like vegetarians who are “so” against eating meat but wear leather, I don’t get that either. What’s the difference, it’s an all or nothing issue for me.

 
At March 22, 2006, Blogger Riana Lagarde said...

i had one bite, but i couldnt get Sea biscuit out of my head! I had just read the book... maybe i need some space. It was pretty good actually!

 
At March 22, 2006, Blogger buzzgirl said...

I've only eaten horse once - in France. I wasn't traumatized! I'm not even sure it's readily available in the U.S. Maybe it's the "cowboy mystique" and the Old West movies that have Americans wary. I don't know.

 
At March 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have eaten venison(deer), bison(very good).....you can however have the horse and the venison....don't like either.....not a moral decision here just don't like them...

 
At March 23, 2006, Blogger Betty Carlson said...

I don't have anything against it but my French husband is a horse-lover and doesn't eat it. I've never tasted it that I know of, but apparently it slips into some cafeteria dishes...or maybe that's an urban legend....
I'm the same with rabbit, it doesn't bother me but now that we have a pet rabbit, my French daughters won't eat it any longer!

 
At March 23, 2006, Blogger christina said...

I wouldn't mind trying it at all. I think it's totally hyprocritical when people say they'd eat one animal and not another. What one person considers a pet, another sees as dinner and that's OK with me. :-)

 
At March 28, 2006, Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

Gotta say, I couldn't try it. But then again I'm not an adventurous eater;)

 
At March 29, 2006, Blogger Just me said...

Nope, just can't do it! I know it sounds silly because I eat beef, pork, poultry (although not so much lately due to the bird flu in France - lol), and fish. But horse, frog legs, bulls testicles, rabbit, deer, and other "delicacies" here in France...I just can't stomach the thought of eating it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home