Saturday, March 25, 2006

Simple tips to find a hairdresser! By Kim




As I have been reading in many posts from bloggers, it has come to my attention, that some people are having a hard time finding a good hairdresser. Sometimes it can just be a matter of communication, a matter of matching tastes and opinions, or sometimes there are just bad hairdressers.

I happen to be a hairdresser, so maybe I can help some of you who are having troubles.

Here are some useful tips in getting a good cut, color/highlight, or style:

1) Always insist, especially the first time with someone, to have a minimum 15 minute consultation.
2) Wear your hair the way you normally would wear it, make sure the stylist takes note of how it looks. I always feel the hair, move it around with my fingers, so that I can get a feeling of what it does when its dry.
3 )Let them know exactly how much time you are willing to invest in your hair.
4) Bring pictures or look in books, don't just show them what you DO like, its extremely helpful to show them what you DON'T like as well.
5) Gestures work really well.
6) When discussing color, if you say, "I don't want to see any red", remember that everyone's perception of red and gold is different, a good colorist will show you lots of pictures and ask you to point out the ones that you see with red in them.
7) Relax and let your stylist get to know you, tell them things you like, etc. It's helpful for me to know if people tend to be conservative, uptight, easygoing, crazy or whatever.
8) Some people will bring in photos of how they have worn their hair in the past, ones they liked, ones they hated, every bit of information is helpful.

These are pretty basic things, most of you probably know them already.

There are plenty of bad stylists out there, I have worked with my fair share of them, had to fire a few or re-train them. Generally a good stylist it seems, is one that listens and takes their time.

One myth that seems to follow us hairdressers, is that if you don't go to us anymore, we are bothered. I can only speak for myself, but I am never bothered when this happens, we are not doctors, we don't carry your entire medical history, styles change, peoples needs change, and in fact its always good to experiment. I love it when a client that I have done for a while, goes somewhere else and then comes back. I get to see someone else's ideas for their hair. I try to tell everyone that, as I really hate when I see someone who has not come to me for a while, and try to hide or make excuses, that is what makes me feel uncomfortable. I must be this way, because while I was a client, I had numerous hairdressers, and never even thought they would all be bothered if I was seeing them for different things!

I hope this little bit of information that I can offer, can help someone!



11 Comments:

At March 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kim,
Good tips.
I have a great stylist in Strasbourg and she did all of those things. You are right that the times I have had a really bad cut was when they didn't ask, listen or were in a hurry.

 
At March 26, 2006, Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Don't get me started!!

 
At March 26, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I still can't find someone I really like... Oh well, I'm waiting a while still to cut my hair...time.

 
At March 26, 2006, Blogger Miss Kim said...

KIm... those are great tips IF you both speak the same language! LOL! Otherwise you still have a problem.

 
At March 26, 2006, Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

Well it can work with the pictures, I've had plenty of people come to me that didn't speak a word or very little english. I would point to the pictures, and they would nod or shake their head, I tried to show them plenty of different styles and watch their reaction and when they gave me a horrified reaction, I would know, okay, not that direction, how about this.... :o)

You can communicate with gestures, it helps I guess if you are very animated like me:)

 
At March 27, 2006, Blogger egan said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 27, 2006, Blogger egan said...

I love these tips. I am a firm believer in good instructions will get you a pretty decent haircut. Then again guy cuts are much simpler than women cuts. Merci pour les trucs.

 
At March 29, 2006, Blogger Just me said...

Does that apply for people living in France too? LOL ;o)

 
At April 03, 2006, Blogger Missy said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm wrestling with this right now. My current hairdresser just moved to a different shop, about 25 miles away which is about 30 minutes when it's not rush hour. I'd like to continue going to her but don't think I can afford to when I can barely get time to myself with the little guy!

 
At February 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

 
At March 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read http://www.inkjet-papers.info/Compare-thermogenic-supplements.html humboldt iowa accutane bar association cheap international calling card

 

Post a Comment

<< Home