Thursday, April 27, 2006

Jilly Bean, big hair and tight tapered jeans. ..by kim (why is it always me posting these days, huh? Thomas??;)


Since this has been a week of reminiscing, first my sister, then my kiddy friend, Christina (Hi Chris:). Now my best friend from high school, my partner in crime from the 80's, with matching big blonde hair and benetton sweaters has re-entered my life, after 2 way too long years! I've kept up with her through my mom, who is her surrogate mom, and I have missed her dearly! Life is just going way too fast!

Right now I can see her face, she is reading this with her mouth open, thinking don't you dare kimberly frances! Don't you worry Jillybeans, I won't tell THOSE stories:):) I will just tell how wonderful of a friend you have always been and how cool beans I think you are:) So continue to read, don't be scared! And if you send me pictures of the kids, I will not post them on the internet:) Don't worry!! Such a worrier you are:) (I know, I give you good reason to worry)

So let me start by saying, we had really cool hair in High school, yeah it was BIG, no seriously, it made us like 4 inches taller than we were!!! Maybe I can post a picture of our big hair, we'll see if she leaves me a comment with authorization! Paul Mitchell hairspray was our spray of choice, the stuff attracting the bee's, yeah that was good!

Our clothes, ahhh weren't they great! Guess, Benetton, Limited, Outback Red, Camp Beverly Hills, Espirit..they were our friends:) Tapered jeans, as tight as we could stand it, breathe? who needs to breathe?? (and if the other needed help pulling the zipper, what were friends for, just lay down, hook a hanger in the zipper part, stand behind the person and pull!!! Yeah stretch jeans would have been really helpful for us:) We needed the biggest sweatshirt we could find,(we were sooo thin, why the heck did we want those BIG sweatshirts again??) I loved my jean skirts with black or pink leggings and Ked's or ballet flats, you liked the riding pants and cream colored sweater with the tall riding boots. (okay maybe you only wore it once or twice, but I had to compensate for my ridiculous admittance of my outfit:)

How many times did we wear those big giant bows for barrettes in our hair, pulling the sides up on top of our heads just behind our giant bangs and pulling to make it really nice and poofy, we had a great technique for doing our hair....Blow drying upside down till nice and big and pooofy, then taking the sides (while still upside down) and popping up really quick, (the trick was in the popping up really dramatically, that was what made it extra great) and spraying the heck out of it!! (where I work, we put glitter in the little girls hair after they get a style done, wouldn't that have been really great, to use glitter on our hair, hehehehe;)

How about Gym class, we were the most uncoordinated, dodging the balls, screaming and screeching, but we looked cute, with our shorts, and sweats under them, well maybe we thought we looked cute, I don't want to see a pic, I'll just remember we thought we were making a fashion statement. We were excellent at kickball, or was that tennis? Running, (NOT) Dancing? Ah yes, we were Queens of the dance floor, welcome to the jungle was a great song to dance to, and it was a chance to make our hair really shake:) Yes, I know, we were a little crazy, just a little:)

Yeah those were the good old days, days we dreamed of having our apartment together, we went and bought all those dishes and plates together, matching, 4 each, you know since we were going to be living together, I still have those plates, I love them! How old were we, 17? Buying a whole set of dishes, napkins and placemats, haha!

You were my best friend! I love our memories, you always made me laugh, you always bring so much joy and happiness just talking to you! You have the most unbelievable energy and spirit! You are great!! I hope we can all camp together this summer, that would be fun fun fun!

My frog is coming this weekend, so you can be sure to have your post on joie de vivre! I will make him do it, even if I must torture him! :) wait now, that's not much joie de vivre, is it? Okay, I will give him lots of sweets and caressing, so he will do it, then if that doesn't work, I'll go with the torture, hey a girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do!

6 Comments:

At April 28, 2006, Blogger La Page Française said...

Oh wow, Kim. This post brought back more fashion memories than I care to admit. Quite a few I had tried very hard to forget too! Jean skirts with leggings and Keds, tapered jeans with baggy sweatshirts, sweatpants under shorts, four inch high bangs...we must have had the same wardrobe! This is another sweet post

 
At April 28, 2006, Blogger The DP said...

I LOVED the miniskirt and leggins with keds look. Or Sam and Libby ballet flats. Loved dressing like that.
And outback red, how could I forget...

The only thing I couldn't do was the bangs, my hair would never stay up...

 
At April 28, 2006, Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

Serena, Don't laugh too hard, pretty soon it will be coming full circle, the girls are all asking for more and more bangs each week, and I am waiting for one to ask me what the trick is in getting them fluffy and big! I already see the tapered jeans in Victoria Secret catalogs, and when I saw the big baggy sweatshirt off the shoulder, I died inside! Oh yes, when the pumps came back, I knew we were heading down that road again!!

Dictator Princess:o) I could have showed you how to get the big bangs for sure! I had really fine hair and my bang job, was perfected, it was an art truly! Not many people remember outback red...that was my favorite, have you been in limited lately?? It is all really, umm, different stuff! This was a really fun post, I love "trips" down memory lane, and although the clothes were really bad, we sure did think we were mighty cool!

 
At April 28, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Haha - all I could think about were those yummy jelly beans which I hate now, but used to love. Maybe it's because I haven't eaten breakfast yet!!!

Yeah those memories of that hair...

Yeah for frogs! hehe...

 
At April 28, 2006, Blogger Miss Kim said...

Your friends and family are so lucky to know you sweet Kim...
where did you grow up and what era are you talking about precisely? Was it the 80's? Sounds like Madonna in the beginning?

 
At April 29, 2006, Blogger Ksam said...

I want to see a picture of the big 80's hair!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home