Thursday, October 26, 2006

2 years ago..by thomas


... almost to the minute, I was landing in Montreal, Canada, not knowing where to stay, and wondering why I had decided to leave France. I remember calling that girl that had tried to help me finding an apartment and asking if I could stay at her place... And so my first contact with North American culture was Hochelaga-Maisonneuve, one of the worst neighbourhood's in Montreal. Eventhough people where really nice, and really curious about this french "cousin" visiting from sooo far away, I had to admit I seriously wondered what I was doing there, and decided myself to call an old friend of mine I studied with in Scotland, and fortunately, his parents were renting an apartment... So what happened during these two years?
  • I discovered that people in Quebec dont speak French - even after two years I can have a hard time understanding
  • I tried poutine and smoked meat - I still prefer to cook real food
  • I lived my two first winters, with snow and -8000 at least, sleding, snowshoeing..
  • I met a fantastic girl!
  • I visited the land of the crazy people, (where I met said girl) and go there every weekend, eventhough I am still as nervous when crossing the border
  • I saw Niagara falls, twice
  • I visited the Ice Hotel
  • I bathed on the East side of the Atlantic ( it was cold)
  • I drove a stupid automatic car...and a stupid automatic van
  • I kissed a great girl (the same I mentioned earlier)
  • I found a job on my first interview
So many other things happened, but it would be too long...All in all, I am just starting to understand American culture, and eventhough it is hard and sometimes frustrating, I adapt myself. I miss my country, I miss my family, I miss french food, french tv, french sports... but this is my new life and it won't wait for me, so I enjoy every single bit of it... Two years already!!

10 Comments:

At October 26, 2006, Blogger Pam said...

Amazing what happens it two years!

Glad you're kissing such a great gal! : ) and Cheers to many more happy years and wonderful new experiences!

 
At October 27, 2006, Blogger y.Wendy.y said...

Yeah - I have been in France for 2 and a half years and could really write a book on my experiences here.

I so understand you missing France - I am so happy here....but I disagree about French TV..man it is BAD!

 
At October 27, 2006, Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

Considering I was watching only France5, and sometimes France2 for the handball and rugby games, as well as TF1 for the football (soccer)... And considering the shit that is on the 10.000 American channels, and that I am not an ad fan, yes I do miss French TV...

 
At October 27, 2006, Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

Oh and Euronews...and Eurosports where you have real sports (no baseball, no American football, what a paradise) and commentators that actually get you into the competition (last summer I tried to watch games of the World cup on American TV, they annoyed me so much with their comments that it killed it for me, and I didnt even feel like watching the Final, " see he should have done this, instead of that and that could have been a goal opportunity", " he passed 65% of his balls with succes" DANG keep the stats for the halftime, when no one is watching anymore, shut up and comment the match...

Thanks there is RMC info on the internet

 
At October 27, 2006, Blogger y.Wendy.y said...

Well yeah if you watch for sports and news mainly. I must say, I DO love the 8pm news on France 2 - one of the best news programmes I have seen and I like to watch that. It's so varied and the news readers enunciate so clearly I understand almost everything. Actually, some of the panel shows about real life issues are very good too. But I rarely watch TV these days anyway - too much other stuff to do and not enough time to do it all in.

But it's the series and stuff that I loathe. Especially dubbed American programmes.

 
At October 27, 2006, Blogger Just me said...

Quelle aventure! Not only have you had a really fun and exciting time, you also found love. So sweet!

 
At October 28, 2006, Blogger B said...

Happy Anniversary! I know...we have to take the bad with the good when it comes to these adventures, don't we? Well, undoubtedly the girl has more than made up for those bad things!

 
At October 30, 2006, Blogger The DP said...

You mean you don't like poutine?!

I had the inverse problem...I learned French in Quebec and for my first few years in France I had a hard time understanding French people!

 
At October 31, 2006, Blogger Betty Carlson said...

Happy anniversary to your new life!

 
At November 05, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

hey! I know how that is... I miss Europe so much. I feel like it is my home and I only lived there for 2.5 years. I'm on my 2nd year in Canada also... I'm glad I'm here because I have the most perfect husband...

But I'm so happy for you guys!!! Yes I don';t think the border will ever get easier!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home