Wednesday, December 05, 2007

This Christmas tradition changed our lives:)



Something you WANT,
Something you NEED,
Something to WEAR,
and something to READ.

4 gifts, thats it...the first year i thought they would die when they woke up, i thought they would think he hadn't come...i almost walked over to the all night store and bought some chex mix to wrap....i was sooo sad....BUT...
The kids woke up...and they were soooo happy and they can tell you everything from that point (3 years ago) what they got each year!!

Now, they plan their lists they sometimes have a couple ideas in each category, or maybe just one, it depends...But they love talking about it together..."what do you want for your something you need...well i "need" a bike, (you know it gets me places) or I NEED a guitar...no I WANT a guitar, but NEED lessons!"

They sooo don't NEED "stuff", Christmas has more meaning and each year it gets better...It's fun to really think about what they get, instead of just playing the packing in the presents game.

7 Comments:

At December 06, 2007, Blogger B said...

Kim, this is an incredible concept! It still makes Christmas fun for them but it eliminates any propensity to expect an outrageous amount of gifts!! And when kids get worked up with expectation, they lose sight of Christmas completely. But, this is so thoughtful, so inspiring, and meaningful. I like what you said about the fact that they remember what they got each year. That says it all. They put more thought into what they ask for and there seems to be a greater sense of appreciation as a result.

I LOVE this idea so much, I have written it down. If I ever have children (or even a significant other, etc.) I will definitely be borrowing this idea!! And the "something to read" obviously makes this idea even more brilliant!! :)

You are the best mother, I swear!!

 
At December 06, 2007, Blogger Ksam said...

I agree, that is a great idea! I'm going to keep that one in the back of my mind as well!

 
At December 06, 2007, Blogger Alison said...

What a GREAT idea!

 
At December 06, 2007, Blogger Kim/Thomas said...

awwwwwww:)
Thanks:)
I wish I could remember how I came up with that idea, i'm just not that clever, so I must have heard it somewhere:)

 
At December 13, 2007, Blogger Barbara said...

Terrific idea, Kim . Thumbs up !
I'am someone who was not an only child, but our parents did do multiple gifts for our younger years.It was often very exciting, but when I think that I remember very few of these gifts, it was perhaps more quantity than quality.
I definately remeber getting clothes every year, some toys ( usually the creative type),books or some misc items.

It's a good idea; less gifts, but well thought and of quality.
I love your tree; it feels so cozy... I haven't had a big tree since I went back to be with Dad during his illness, a few years back already.

Take care ;)

 
At December 13, 2007, Blogger susan d said...

love it. some of last's year's stuff (ab lounger) is sitting on the front porch in the dead cold of winter b/c we don't have room for it!

 
At December 28, 2007, Blogger momcodes said...

Wow. Of four gifts, 1 is a necessity and one is a book (also a necessity). Thank you for sharing this with us. As we begin anew; building family traditions with our baby, this will be a practice of realism and perspective in a very fun, win-win way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home